NCGW Things to do
Grow garden chairs
Natural furniture for a barbecue or garden party
Here’s what you’ll need!
Shopping list for your local garden centre:
Bags of topsoil
Some strips of turf
Trowel or spade
- Make a pile of top soil like the one in the picture for each chair you want to grow. The lower bit of the pile is for sitting on. The higher bit of the pile is for resting your back against.
- When the piles are the shaped how you want them, cover them with the strips of turf. You might need to cut the turf into shape with a trowel or spade to do this.
- When the piles of soil are covered with turf, pin the turf in place with tent pegs or sticks so it doesn’t fall off.
- In a few weeks the turf will grow roots into the piles of soil and be stuck. When it has, you can take the tent pegs or sticks away. Your garden furniture is ready to use at a barbecue or garden party!
- Over the summer you can use garden shears to keep the grass on your furniture short.