NCGW Things to do
Build a path for the senses
Here’s what you’ll need!
Shopping list for your local garden centre:
Horticultural sharp sand
Bricks, plywood or recycled wood for edging your path
Tarpaulin or similar membrane
Sensory fillers for your path, such as:
• Creeping thyme
• Water (you’ll need a rubber liner for this!)
- Decide where you want your path to go, and mark the edges of the path out using your horticultural sand
- Mark the edging of your path using your bricks or wood
- Give the soil a good stamp down to get rid of any air bubbles in it, and then rake it over again.
- Divide the length of your path up into sections using your bricks, plywood or recycled wood
- Next, fill each section of your path with something different. Try filling a section with compost and planting creeping thyme plants in it; this will smell lovely when it’s walked on. Fill other sections with your gravel, bark, water, turf, or other materials
- You’ve now got your sensory path! When children walk it in bare feet they get a great feel for the different materials and the world around them. It’s surprisingly relaxing for grown ups too!