NCGW Things to do
Grow yourself a windowsill friend
Here’s what you’ll need!
Grass seed (preferably fast growing)
Saw dust or compost
Old tights or stockings (not opaque as grass needs to grow through them)
Craft pipe cleaners
Rubber bands or string
Googly eyes stuck onto cocktail sticks
- Cut off each leg, and toe end of the tights.
- Tie a tight knot in one end of the tight tube.
- Fill the tights with the saw dust, compost or a mix, to create the body for your caterpillar. Make sure the tights are filled and keep filling to your desired length.
- On the inside of the tights, sprinkle grass seed along one side of the caterpillar, then tie a knot in the end.
- Now that you have made the main body for your caterpillar, wrap rubber bands or string around the body to create sections.
- Add your googly eyes, legs and antennae to the caterpillar using the pipe cleaners.
- Lay the caterpillar in a tray with shallow water in so that the sawdust soaks it up. When the caterpillar is watered, remove from water and place in a dry plant tray.
- Place your caterpillar on the windowsill and remember to water your caterpillar once or twice a week.
- As the grass seed grows it will poke through the tights, making a hairy caterpillar. Feel free to give them a haircut!